Solo - A Star Wars Story

This is the place for not hair related discussions.
Imp666

Solo - A Star Wars Story

Post by Imp666 » 29 May 2018, 14:25

I love this movie! Why? Because it's totally different from other Star Wars movies. I also liked the original trilogy, the prequels and the sequels, because I think it's always nice to see somethin new and surprises. Purists are riduculous and I ignore them, they don't even bother me. I think looking for plot holes or illogical things in a fantasy story is stupid, as well. Why can't they just enjoy the movies?

I enjoyed this movie very much.
Emilia Clarke has a very nice bob in some scenes, btw, unfortunatally it's a wig.

What is your opinion about this movie?
“You're truly all enslaved.“ (Quorthon, 1966 - 2004)

fastmandan88

Re: Solo - A Star Wars Story

Post by fastmandan88 » 29 May 2018, 21:03

Nu-Star Wars is now really Social Justice Wars...Lando is now a 'robot-sexual'? Please...

Count me out.

klaatu48

Post by klaatu48 » 29 May 2018, 23:34

fastmandan88 wrote:
29 May 2018, 21:03
Nu-Star Wars is now really Social Justice Wars...Lando is now a 'robot-sexual'? Please...

Count me out.
Seriously? That's what drove you out? That Lando will go for anyone and anything?

I think I had that figured out about him when I first saw Empire before I was 10. The dude has always been about sexing up whatever was willing.

I haven't seen it yet just because I don't find it really interesting -- it never struck me as really being necessary, but I'm looking forward to episode 9.

bangs-cutter

Post by bangs-cutter » 29 May 2018, 23:37

The Last Jedi ruined the franchise and split the fan base. Why? Because Kathleen Kennedy pushed identity politics and SJW nonsense into the movie. It was so blatantly obvious. On top of that, Rian Johnson stomped on everything that is sacred in Star Wars.

Solo's failure at the box office was the fan's reaction to how Disney ruined it all. It was hitting back where it really hurts; the wallet.
It's not "just" a bang cut! I'm a sucker for bang chops!

Ozbald

Post by Ozbald » 30 May 2018, 17:42

I'm cautiously optimistic to see Solo. From what I know there were some major production problems and disagreements on creative vision. I know that the biggest mistake they made was hiring literally the first person they screen tested for Han Solo when there were a couple candidates the really serious fans wanted to see as Han. In that sense, they shot themselves in the foot before they'd even begun filming. I don't think it's going to be great, but as long as it's fun and entertaining I'm down. I love Star Wars, but I think too many fans put the movies on a pedestal. Even the originals aren't fantastic movies, excepting perhaps Empire, but they are campy, and fun, and the sort of movie you'll rewatch out of nostalgia. I'll even say that of the prequels, although admittedly I like watching those to make fun of them.
Let's talk about the elephant that has everyone worried about the new movie: The Last Jedi. There's nothing wrong with a tantric(left-handed; essentially this means opposite) approach to Star Wars doctrine. Star Wars, IMO, should change, it should evolve. I think this is something Maz Kanata highlights in The Force Awakens when she's talking about the cycle of violence, the dark, and the light. To end that cycle something new has to be introduced, and I think we'll see the introduction of grey jedi into the movies. The mistake Rian Johnson made was changing too many things too quickly. A great example of this is Leia. At the end of Return, we know Leia has a connection to the force, and I think a lot of fans would've loved to see Leia tap into the force. However Johnson took things too far, too quickly. Leia's powers of resurrection and space flight exceed any powers the fans have witnessed so far and it breaks the reality of the world. Side note: when I was in the theatre and the bridge exploded I thought, "Holy Shit! That's how they wrote out Carrie Fischer!" It was shocking! I think someone people might've seen it as a disservice to Carrie(RIP sweet princess), but I think it would've been awesome, and badass, and the kick that the second movie needed to cement the darkness of the middle chapter. A few other things I disliked: Cantobite was an unnecessary side quest that slowed down the plot only to deliver a moralizing story about animal rights, wealth disparity, and war profiteering. I'm not saying these themes aren't worthy to be in Star Wars, but given our political climate IRL, the message seemed more focused on the audience and less of the characters. And Star Wars is supposed to be a fucking escape! Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away! Again, I'm not saying Star Wars shouldn't try to deliver a message, I think movies have an incredible power to be a mirror to our lives, but that the message should be internalized by the characters, not shoved down the audience's throats. There are things I enjoyed about The Last Jedi. I really liked the interactions between Luke and Rey, and between Rey and Kylo(although I thought it was stupid they had to create a new force power to facilitate these interactions). I liked the concept of a Star Wars movie centered around a battle happening in space, although I thought the execution was poor. I really liked Andy Serkis as Snoke. It was lame that they didn't give Snoke a back story, but that acting! Hot damn! Andy Serkis is a master of facial expressions and is, in my opinion, probably one of the greatest, most under-recognized actors.
I think this last point draws me back to Solo and why I'm optimistic. Granted the casting of Han was probably a mistake, but look at the other actors: Woody Harrelson, Donald Glover, Emilia Clarke, and Jon Favreau. Those are the names I recognize immediately and they're all big hitters in my book. Sometimes great actors can save a bad movie, or at least bad lines. Case in point: Sir Alec Guinness, "Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." This is admittedly horrible dialogue. Alec Guinness thought so, and yet he delivered it in such a way that it sticks in my mind like a splinter. I also think that because the Star Wars Stories are not directly connected to the main plot line of Star Wars they can take more liberties. I think that Rogue One presented a darker, grittier Star Wars universe, which is something I've always been hoping for and I hope Solo continues this trend.
I didn't intend to write this much, but passion drives me fingers across the keys. If you read all of this, props to you, and let me know if you'd like me to review Solo here after I go see it!

fastmandan88

Post by fastmandan88 » 30 May 2018, 20:12

I actually like the prequels. I don't get the hate for them. They at least stay true to the original trilogy. The lightsaber battles by themselves are good enough to make them fun to watch and as good as the original trilogy, I think.

Nu-Star Wars doesn't stay true to anything except for lens flares and J.J. Abrams/Kennedy doing everything possible to de-Star Wars Star Wars.

wsmith

Post by wsmith » 30 May 2018, 23:57

bangs-cutter wrote:
29 May 2018, 23:37
The Last Jedi ruined the franchise and split the fan base. Why? Because Kathleen Kennedy pushed identity politics and SJW nonsense into the movie. It was so blatantly obvious. On top of that, Rian Johnson stomped on everything that is sacred in Star Wars.

Solo's failure at the box office was the fan's reaction to how Disney ruined it all. It was hitting back where it really hurts; the wallet.

Couldn’t agree more. I’m a huge Star Wars fan and I even liked the prequels but the last couple of entries have ruined it for me, they’re just copying what they did in the originals and ruining beloved characters instead of doing something new which is why I’m not seeing Solo. They’re just milking the nostalgia for all it’s worth; I don’t need to see two-plus hours of winks and nods to the originals. At least the prequels did something new.

Imp666

Post by Imp666 » 31 May 2018, 10:50

bangs-cutter wrote:
The Last Jedi ruined the franchise and split the fan base.
yeah, you are right, the new movies split the fan base...
“You're truly all enslaved.“ (Quorthon, 1966 - 2004)

Baldfan

Post by Baldfan » 01 Jun 2018, 13:57

bangs-cutter wrote:

Yup, let's make the movie with the white dude star a failure. That'll sure show Disney that's what the fans want ;-)

pfd7007

Post by pfd7007 » 04 Jun 2018, 14:57

I was surprised how much I enjoyed Solo. It's certainly not a great movie and probably my least favorite Star Wars movie, but my expectations were so low given the production drama and my general lack of interest in seeing what amounts to another prequel that I actually had a good time. I also just committed myself when going in not to dwell on the dude playing Solo. At times he got the look pretty good but never really nailed the mannerisms or speech inflections so a few times it pulls you out of the narrative but I tried to consciously minimize those moments. I will be curious to see how / if they move forward with planned Solo sequels given its performance at the box office.

As for the new trilogy . . . I've been very conflicted about it. I'm personally fine with the social justice aspects of it; if you're not that's fine as well because you're certainly allowed your own opinion. I haven't found that on-screen activism to get in the way of the story-telling, and I like to see greater representation on-screen. Having daughters, I like that modern cinema is producing more fictional heroines for them to relate to and to look up to that aren't just Disney princesses. So kudos for characters like Rey, Wonder Woman, Black Widow, and the various females in Black Panther.

All that said, something has just felt off about the new trilogy. I enjoyed The Force Awakens but Abram's pace is so frenetic that you never really get time for introspection or to let a moment linger because the plot must move forward. I find the characters very compelling and the acting top quality (for Star Wars at least) but I've just found they lack that take your breath away moment that even the prequels would have. Phantom Menance and Clones are slogs at times but you know at the end Darth Maul shows up or Yoda gets his lightsaber out and that excitement pulls you through the more lackluster parts. Force Awakens had a pretty standard space battle and sloppy lightsaber fight at the end, so while I enjoy the movie as a whole it lacks a certain gravity and big payoff moment that I really want.

I am never quite sure of my feelings on The Last Jedi. I actually loved the entire movie (especially Kylo Ren taking over the First Order as a nice change of pace) until Luke dies. For me it's not so much that he died but having been a fan of the expanded universe years ago, Luke had lot so rich post-ROTJ stories but now is legacy is pretty much "he went away." On the one hand I can understand: as I've aged I've become more jaded and cynical so I can see why Luke's youthful enthusiasm would dwindle but on the other it's just sad that such an iconic character with so much rich history just kind of gets written out like that. When you also consider Force Awakens leads right in to Last Jedi it's like two of the galaxy's biggest heroes (Luke and Han) have died within a few days of each other. The small timeframe also makes the new trilogy seem less epic whereas the original and prequels covered years and years. At the same time, I can appreciate what Johnson was trying to do with Luke at the end of the film. Luke (or his projection) does exactly what he ridiculed earlier: stands up to the entire First Order and in doing so as the last Jedi becomes the new hope that the Resistance needs to escape. But still, I have issues with it that I haven't sorted out yet.

Of the new Disney films, Rogue One was definitely my favorite, and Kylo Ren has become one of my all time favorite Star Wars characters.

verybored2

Post by verybored2 » 04 Jun 2018, 17:42

It’s a decent enough film, nothing massively obviously wrong with it apart from two duff performances dragging it down. Just very generic for the most part, but was fun and worth the trip out to the cinema. (I’m not a SW fan as such, FWIW, just someone who’s familiar with the series through general pop culture osmosis. Didn’t even see the first SW film from 1977 until it was cinematically reissued in 1997!)