So, how did it go in the olden days? (Hair(cut)fetish through the years.)

Talk about this site here and everything hair related (except what have its own forum).
Sharing of copyrighted material here is prohibited!
We are not responsible for what our users post. If you are the copyright holder of something found here mail to the board administrator at ttxAThvidsDOT.net
Velours123

So, how did it go in the olden days? (Hair(cut)fetish through the years.)

Post by Velours123 » 09 Sep 2017, 17:16

I was thinking, this fetish (like many fetishes) is probably as old as the road to Rome.
(Just imagine being interested in hair in the Middle Ages, must have been a nightmare! :D )

I assume that on this forum there are a lot of men and women who are from the pre internet generation. What was it like back then to be interested in hair?
My generation (mid twenties) is spoiled when it comes to this.. Special websites with videos, people making specific content, forums like this, Youtube, Instagram, social media.... How would you find people interested in your thing back then, and what was your response when you came across content that you liked?
I remember reading some childrens books when I was a little kid where sometimes hair(cutting) was involved (Jeanne d' Arc and Rapunzel for example), but apart from that I never really saw or read content (except for an occasional makeovershow, but I was aware that a boy at age 8 would be frowned upon if he would watch a makeovershow.. :oops: )

I'm excited to read your stories!

clemson

Re: So, how did it go in the olden days? (Hair(cut)fetish through the years.)

Post by clemson » 09 Sep 2017, 19:27

When I was growing up in the 1980s, I wasn't aware of sources for hair makeovers other than magazines or videos shown on TV. I didn't know anything about actual fetish magazines like "The Razor's Edge"...I would check Good Housekeeping every month because my mom got it and they had a "Makeover of the Month" and occasionally there were makeovers in magazines like Redbook or Seventeen. My sister had a subscription to Glamour and they had a "Perfect Haircut" feature in there for a while. A lot of those makeovers from those days have been posted here on hvids in these threads:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16211

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17116

Here are a few clips that were special to me growing up:

One of the first haircut pics I had was in a "Making of Star Trek the Motion Picture" book. There were a few grainy b&w pics of the Persis Khambatta head shave. I remember thinking "wouldn't it be amazing to see the actual film footage of this," now it's a couple of clicks away on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHgdGTQiVbc

There was a TV Movie called "Women at West Point" that had an induction haircut. It seems like nothing now but at the time, it seemed like an amazing clip. Our friend who maintains the haironfilm website posted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHuL3XQSDhI

CNN Style had hair segments occasionally. Our of our members collected a bunch of them and posted them on his channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfhDRJu_uAo

Many more here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/cwgaf/vide ... =0&sort=dd

There were other clips on TV shows, commercials, movies, etc. occasionally but they weren't plentiful like now and you had to hope you had a VCR and a tape ready and freedom to tape it without anyone wondering what you were up to.

I remember the first day I went on the internet and it occurred to me to do a search for haircutting sites. I couldn't believe such an amazing variety of material was available. I found the first incarnation of ltah (this was before Jason took it over), haircut.net, haircut fun page, hair-o-mania, italian hair fashion page, etc. etc. I was astounded; seriously, It was like a feast put in front of a starving man.

gigin

Post by gigin » 09 Sep 2017, 20:46

Growing up in the 1970's, a lot of it was just pure luck. You'd bump into something on TV, be it a commercial, program, or movie. Then, the research was on. Find out the name of that program or movie, and keep on the look-out for it in the future when (if?) it re-ran. It was magazines at the library, learning to use the big green periodical references. Sometimes the newspaper would run a story with pictures of a long-haired local woman cutting hip or knee length hair. Those got saved and hidden in my room.

I remember looking at TV Guide when it came in the mail, and scouring it front to back seeing if a program or movie was scheduled for the week. No VCR's (at least in our house) so you'd have to first see if you'd even be home when it came on TV, then if you'd be able to even see it. Sometimes, if I knew a movie was on in the early morning hours, I'd have to stay awake til everyone was asleep, then get up and watch.

You really had to put a lot of work into it in the long-long-ago. And somehow, it was MUCH more rewarding than now, with the internet. Sometimes I sort-of pine for the old days. Now, on an almost daily basis, I see YARDS of hair being cut on the internet, and it doesn't really even phase me. For those of us senior citizens, imagine that if we could see hip or thigh or knee length hair being cut back in, say, 1975? It would be a life-changing moment. That would have been the jackpot of jackpots. We would have given a limb to see that.

OK---sorry about all that. Guess I'm just a grumpy old man. But it really WAS special back long ago since haircutting was only on the TV maybe once a month (if lucky) or in magazines/newspaper sporadically. The few chance encounters were SO special and SO memorable.

scissortooth

Post by scissortooth » 09 Sep 2017, 20:59

Velours123 wrote:
09 Sep 2017, 17:16
I was thinking, this fetish (like many fetishes) is probably as old as the road to Rome.
(Just imagine being interested in hair in the Middle Ages, must have been a nightmare! :D )
Actually, if your cup of tea would be eyebrowless look and hairline shifting for, say, a higher forehead, Middle Ages were not that bad IIRC ;). Plus, I suppose an occasional lice infestation that was quite common then would provide some fetish food for those who like shaves, clippercuts and, eventually, crops/pixies ;)

Velours123

Post by Velours123 » 09 Sep 2017, 21:23

scissortooth wrote:
09 Sep 2017, 20:59
Velours123 wrote:
Actually, if your cup of tea would be eyebrowless look and hairline shifting for, say, a higher forehead, Middle Ages were not that bad IIRC ;). Plus, I suppose an occasional lice infestation that was quite common then would provide some fetish food for those who like shaves, clippercuts and, eventually, crops/pixies ;)
Actually, you have a good point!
Although I wonder if the term pixie/bob already existed.
Me personally I am more of the long>short crop, I leave the eyebrowless look for others to enjoy, but I think the long>short cuts were quite common when there were lice infestations, as you say. ;)

davem

Post by davem » 10 Sep 2017, 06:39

This was one of the high points of those dreary times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJWYAi9hsYo

gigin

Post by gigin » 10 Sep 2017, 12:12

In re: Five Branded Women---

This was one of those movies that I just happened to bump into, not having heard of it before. Saw the buzzed/shaved women, then patiently waited til I saw it listed on TV again. Well, months went by, and lo and behold, saw it listed at like 2 or 3 am. Stayed awake (took forever) hoping that the cuts would be shown. And they were, early in the film. When I saw that they were all shaved/buzzed, I then went to bed. That was a LONG time ago.

rubbish77

Post by rubbish77 » 10 Sep 2017, 13:58

In my teen years (1970's) I thought I was the only person in the world who got excited by women having their hair cut. Eventually, in the 80's, you could go to a dirty book store and look at the "kinky story" magazines (Penthouse Forum collections, etc.) and see a very occasional reference. In the 90's usenet appeared on the pre-web internet (alt.sex.fetish.hair, anyone?).

Those teen years of thinking I was genuinely freaky, combined with decades of closeting my interest resulted in a fair amount of therapy. Eventually I was invited to talk to a class of psychiatry track med students about paraphilias...

klaatu48

Post by klaatu48 » 10 Sep 2017, 14:37

I came of age in the early 90s, so I spent way more time than I'd admit in the local drug store looking at hairstyle magazines and the like. Not only was I too shy to just buy them, but with a handful of brothers and sisters in a small house, there wasn't going to be anywhere I could look at them secretly anyway. It was not a fun time...

I do look back fondly on the first few weeks of school each year, though -- I was in a pretty big class (almost 700 students in my year, about 3,000 in the high school total), so there was no shortage of "Holy crap, that girl's hair was to her waist last year!" moments after the summer passed. Same sort of thing happened on every returning TV show, too, back before we got near-instantaneous updates on the Internet. I still remember seeing Lea Thompson's pixie cut for the first time in a car commercial and spending a couple weeks until her show premiered wondering whether she actually cut it.

jonice10

Post by jonice10 » 12 Sep 2017, 23:43

I picked clothing catalogs out of the recycling all through the 80s, and I got so I knew the models' faces and their changing styles. There were a couple of models who went from long to short(ish) and they were faves. Mostly I turned down corners of pages to make the good pics easy to find. But at one point I decided to cut the pics out and put all the ones of each model in a separate page.

Coming to college and finding the internet, the bob-haircut page and Lee at PHD4U especially, was seriously eye opening...

RoverSteve

Post by RoverSteve » 13 Sep 2017, 00:07

where most young guys would have nudey mags under the mattress, i had all manner of hair magazines

then the internet happened :D

artibus

Post by artibus » 13 Sep 2017, 00:12

davem wrote:
10 Sep 2017, 06:39
This was one of the high points of those dreary times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJWYAi9hsYo
Yep, that was pure solid gold back in the day, along with "The girl in the Kremlin" and "Caged".
I remember grabbing the first VHS tape I could get my hands on and taping the shaving scene in "Caged" when it was on network TV back in the eighties. Right in the middle of round 4 of Sugar Ray Leonard v Roberto Duran I that I had taped previously was where it ended up.

artibus

Post by artibus » 13 Sep 2017, 00:17

RoverSteve wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 00:07
where most young guys would have nudey mags under the mattress, i had all manner of hair magazines

then the internet happened :D
Yes indeed. Ha! I had several of the makeovers from LHJ, GH, and Glamour magazines. Many of those old pics still can be found at this site even now.
I also discovered the stories in Penthouse and later Forum magazine about hair cutting and headshaving. :wink:

artibus

Post by artibus » 13 Sep 2017, 00:30

Velours123 wrote:

I assume that on this forum there are a lot of men and women who are from the pre internet generation. What was it like back then to be interested in hair?
My generation (mid twenties) is spoiled when it comes to this.. Special websites with videos, people making specific content, forums like this, Youtube, Instagram, social media.... How would you find people interested in your thing back then, and what was your response when you came across content that you liked?
I remember reading some childrens books when I was a little kid where sometimes hair(cutting) was involved (Jeanne d' Arc and Rapunzel for example), but apart from that I never really saw or read content (except for an occasional makeovershow, but I was aware that a boy at age 8 would be frowned upon if he would watch a makeovershow.. :oops: )

I'm excited to read your stories!
Thank you so much for this excellent topic!
I remember when a makeover on a TV show or in a Ladies magazine was a really big deal! I can remember being in "stealth mode" at the supermarket with a Hairstyle magazine placed inside a Sports Illustrated magazine as I stood looking there in total lust...but not wanting to appear "weird" Ha!!!
I also was guilty of "dumpster diving" behind the shopping centers in dumpsters that salons used. :mrgreen:
The times have changed! I'm pretty sure that is why so many old farts at this site are so quick to anger when folks disparage the postings of others for stupid reasons such as "poor camera work", etc...

pfd7007

Post by pfd7007 » 13 Sep 2017, 02:54

I came of age in the early to mid-90s when the internet existed but wasn’t in every house. We didn’t get an internet enabled computer until about 1999 when I was 18 so most of my adolescence I had to be creative. As others have said, women’s magazines were something I’d look through, but unfortunately my house didn’t have a lot of them and new ones were even scarcer. If I saw a movie was coming on where I knew there was a haircut scene I’d set the ‘ol VCR to record it. During high school I’d get home about the same time TLC’s “Wedding Story” would air, and I ended up watching a lot of that as there were usually scenes of women caped and getting their done—but never cut—that would at least satiate my needs somewhat; when they started the Makeover Story show I also would try to catch it whenever possible. I had my own basement set up to myself and sometimes I’d forget to change the channel and friends would come over for WWF Raw or football or just to game and they’d be like “why the hell was your TV on TLC.” But that’s how I managed until the wondrous day we finally got internet.

clemson

Post by clemson » 13 Sep 2017, 04:44

pfd7007 wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 02:54
I had my own basement set up to myself and sometimes I’d forget to change the channel and friends would come over for WWF Raw or football or just to game and they’d be like “why the hell was your TV on TLC.”
I had a bunch of VCR tapes that had episodes of "A Makeover Story" and other clips I had taped--sometimes they were stuck on tapes of regular movies or tv shows. One of my tapes had a WWII documentary on it that a buddy wanted to borrow; I said no problem and then realized I had haircut makeover clips from some women's daytime talk show stuck in the middle. I said "oh, sorry, I forgot I want to watch this later" and refused to lend him the tape even though he said he would return it right away. I was so worried he would discover the clips and then my little secret would be out. :o

artibus

Post by artibus » 13 Sep 2017, 12:17

clemson wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 04:44
pfd7007 wrote:
I had my own basement set up to myself and sometimes I’d forget to change the channel and friends would come over for WWF Raw or football or just to game and they’d be like “why the hell was your TV on TLC.”
I had a bunch of VCR tapes that had episodes of "A Makeover Story" and other clips I had taped--sometimes they were stuck on tapes of regular movies or tv shows. One of my tapes had a WWII documentary on it that a buddy wanted to borrow; I said no problem and then realized I had haircut makeover clips from some women's daytime talk show stuck in the middle. I said "oh, sorry, I forgot I want to watch this later" and refused to lend him the tape even though he said he would return it right away. I was so worried he would discover the clips and then my little secret would be out. :o
:lol: I had the same thing. The shaving scene from "Caged" was in the middle of my vhs tape of Leonard-Duran I.
I'm pretty sure my wife took the tape to Goodwill years ago. Maybe somebody got a surprise later :lol:

Velours123

Post by Velours123 » 13 Sep 2017, 15:24

artibus wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 12:17
clemson wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 04:44
pfd7007 wrote:
:lol: I had the same thing. The shaving scene from "Caged" was in the middle of my vhs tape of Leonard-Duran I.
I'm pretty sure my wife took the tape to Goodwill years ago. Maybe somebody got a surprise later :lol:
My pc in my apartment is when entering it directly to the left.
I went in with a friend of mine, and as I was opening the door I thought : "Wait a sec, did I leave Hvids open?" So I opened the door slightly, and yeah, hvids was opened. Luckily hvids isnt that "disturbing" when it comes to its look, even the urlname is rather neutral. So I saw that, quickly said that something was wrong, closed the door, and quickly removed the page. Upon opening the door for the friend, I responded that I noticed something wrong in the room, and thats why I had to close it. Still wonder whether she bought that.

artibus

Post by artibus » 13 Sep 2017, 16:13

I remember LMAO watching Chris Rock's show...the bit about "forgetting to take the porno tape out of the VCR and getting busted" Ha!!!

KingTetsuro

Post by KingTetsuro » 14 Nov 2017, 21:30

I remember at five years old I was turned on by the bald headed lady in Star Trek the Motion Picture and it scared me.I didn't fully accept my fetish till 25 when I look at women's haircut fetish sites.then and even today when I look at models in playboy and Victoria's Secret I have fantasies about them in their bra and panties or nude getting their hair cut off.even when pubic was in vogue I only tolerated it.i definitely love the shaved down there trend.